Friday, February 17, 2012

It was called yellow...


At the beginning of our relationship, Tony and I were separated by many miles.  He was in his sophomore year at Clarkson University and I was a freshman at Cornell. We had spent our entire lives growing up in the same town, but it took 350 miles of distance to truly get to know one another.  After reconnecting through Facebook, we found ourselves talking night after night.  We would discuss many different topics, from books and science to pop culture and dreams for the future.  However, of all the topics that we shared, music was our favorite.  With the help of free iTunes codes hidden under Diet Pepsi bottle caps, we discovered songs together that grabbed our souls.  We would tear the lyrics apart and then piece them back together to find the meaning beneath the tunes.  And during the day, I found myself listening to these songs as I was studying and walking to class.  As I later learned, these songs lingered with Tony too. We fell in love to these songs. 

Of all the songs that we came across, “Yellow” by Coldplay was our favorite.  There was something about the feeling that the music left us with.  As we dissected the song, we identified with the lines.  The song seemed to capture exactly how we were feeling for one another: “Yellow” came to mean the glowing brightness of our relationship persisting despite the miles that stood between us.  It felt like this song was written about us, for us.  We fell in love to this song.

Years later, after Tony transferred to Cornell, we actually looked up what the Coldplay artists intended when writing the song.  It surprised us when we came across a 60 Minutes interview with lead singer Chris Martin.  In this interview, Martin tried to dispel to journalist Steve Kroft the meaning behind “Yellow.”  He laughingly said, "What's it about? F… knows… I've got no idea. I still think about that every day. I love playing it. I love the tune. I love the chords. I love the balloons that we use live. But I still can't quite work out what it's about.” 

To Tony and I, this couldn’t help but make us smile.  In the 7 years that we have been together, we have fallen asleep listening to this song.  We danced together to this song at our wedding, and we can’t help but hold hands when it comes on the radio.  To us, this song represents the times we share discovering and rediscovering it together.

This blog is about the “Yellow” things in life. I want to fill it with things that inspire me, stories to remember, and moments that catch me by surprise.  There certainly will be lots of photos (and probably a lot of them will be of my little doggie, Butters).  I have no idea what it is about yet, but I am looking forward to discovering it along the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment