Saturday, April 14, 2012

My Medical School Journey


I make a habit of not blogging about medical school.  So much of my time is already dedicated to becoming a doctor. Between long hospital/clinic hours and returning home to study, every waking hour can easily be eaten up by medicine.  It is nice to have a few moments spared from research articles and treatment modalities.  This blog, photography, raising a dog, spending time with Tony, laughing with family, visiting childhood friends: these are the ways I have retained my humanity while becoming a doctor.  They are the small corners of my life I resist letting medicine take over.  I have learned you can obtain outstanding board scores, ace every class, read endless numbers of books… and still be a horrible physician.  It is incredibly important to find balance in any field of medicine.

As an exception to my own rule, I will be blogging about med school over the next couple of weeks.  Graduation is right around the corner.  In 2 weeks, I will forever put away my short white coat.  In 3 months, I will put on a gleaming resident’s coat with the freshly printed letters: MD.  Again, I will be at the bottom of another food chain but with many more responsibilities (and longer days to match).  This week I will be giving up some of my blog to this journey.  There will be 4 posts: one for each rewarding and challenging year dedicated to becoming a doctor.  Look for them in the coming days!

No comments:

Post a Comment