Saturday, August 10, 2013

A Simple Smile


It was 5AM.  I could hear Leon stirring next to me, the gentle rocking of his sleeper starting back and forth.  In the 8 weeks since he was born, I hadn’t managed to squeeze out more than 3 hours of sleep.  I was exhausted, begrudgingly rising out of bed for the seemingly hundredth time that night.   Through sleep-laden eyes, I stared glassily through the dark at my wide-awake little baby.  And, there it was: for the first time, a real smile.  It was the kind that spread from his gummy lips to his twinkling eyes.  For the first time, it wasn’t meant for a toot or an awaited bottle… it was just for me. 


In that moment, all of the spit-covered shirts, diaper blowouts, bath-time tinkles, and midnight awakenings were all forgotten… that first time that Leon smiled at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment