Sunday, July 15, 2012

Beauty of my (new) Backyard

Tony and I bought our first SLR camera a couple weeks after we got married.  The morning that it came in the mail, my first photo shoot was in our backyard.  That day marked the start of my love for taking photos.  I remember how that morning, I noticed the details of things around me for the first time... flowers mid-bloom, the nails on a broken bench, our aging birdhouse... items I had seen hundreds of times before but never REALLY seen.


It was the first time I truly noticed the beauty around me, even in that tiny city lot.  And, when I look back at those pictures, they still bring back the warm feelings I have for Tony and my time in Buffalo.  I am reminded of all the things I really loved about our first home... the morning light pouring into our bedroom, coffee in the kitchen, trips to the ice cream shop around the corner, the warmth and beauty of Buffalo summers, neighborhood kids playing on the dead-end street.  It reminds me that, regardless of where I am in my life, it is important to take some time to enjoy the little things.  Those are the warm memories that you carry with you when you leave.



This weekend was my FIRST weekend off from work since starting intern year.  And, as Tony had to work, I took some time yesterday to enjoy the little things.  Joined by my furry friend (Butters, of course) we explored the new backyard.  With the rain this last week, providing a break in the San Antonio heat, the plants and flowers really have been looking fantastic.









As we look to buy a house next year, I think about the special memories that these photos will hold for our first experiences in San Antonio... our first time living in a new state, starting our new careers, meeting new friends and reuniting with old ones.  I am looking forward to discovering the little and big moments yet to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment