Thursday, July 19, 2012

Tony and da bass

One of the things I love about Tony is his passion and natural talent for creating music.  We share a lot of the same interests, but I really appreciate that playing bass is a special hobby all his own.


At the beginning of medical school, he taught himself how to play.  I remember seeing him in our little apartment with his first bass, trying out new chords printed off the Internet.  He had a large binder full of music by the end of that first year.  


It amazed me how quickly his technique advanced, and he turned into a great player.  He started testing out different sounds using various string and pedal types.  There were many nights I would study to the sound of him playing bass.  Joined by other instrument-playing friends, we had many music + dinner nights at our house.  And, by our fourth year of med school, he was recording and playing at open mic nights and formal band gigs, playing with a variety of different players experimenting with various genres of music.   








In the same way that I appreciate his music, Tony understands my enjoyment of photography.  I value the moments when both of our passions can come together, like through this blog.  Tony has long been a willing subject for my photos, with his bass in hand.  Going to his music gigs gave me a chance to try out new angles and lenses in low-light settings.  The colors and variation of his pedals and basses makes it fun to practice shooting on lazy afternoons (or the afternoon before another long overnight of night-float, like today).  I hope that in the future we can continue to keep, share, and appreciate these interests.

No comments:

Post a Comment