Monday, July 22, 2013

Grandparents


As a kid, whenever my parents made me do something I didn’t want to, I would make promises to my future children. As a 7 year old, I swore that candy would always be kept on the bottom shelf, not the top.  Bed times and naps would be outlawed.  Cartoons would be left indefinitely on repeat.  And, clothes would never be an acceptable birthday present.  Later, as a teen, I promised I wouldn’t incessantly nag my someday children about cleaning their rooms making their beds.  No yard work would be required on the weekends.  Friends would be able to come over any time of day, and I wouldn’t make my kids ask permission to drive, let alone share, the car.

Then, I became a mom...  

...and all the things my parents did throughout my childhood made a little more sense.  But, even more frightening: I found myself starting to do those things my kid-self swore would never happen… Somehow, I don’t expect that to change anytime soon. 


It is a beautiful process watching your parents become grandparents.  


It’s like a snapshot back in time, remembering the gentle hugs and sing-song voices from childhood.  




And, as a new parent, it softens the learning curve as you discover the tricks of the trade from the experts.  


You start to hash out your own parenting style, taking bits and pieces from those whom raised you.



Over the past few months, I have watched as Tony and my parents have poured their love onto their new grandson.  While awaiting the arrival of my sister, Kit, whom will be coming to live with us in August, the grandparents have been taking time to visit and help with Leon. 





It has been fun sharing our home and San Antonio with each, celebrating our growing family.  I realize how much I have missed all of them over the last year since leaving NY.

I look forward to what the future holds, as I see each of them a special part of this new phase in our lives.  Each has a slightly different style to grandparenting…


… but it is clear that they all will have much to give to this growing boy throughout his lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment