Thursday, November 8, 2012

Becoming Parents

Before we brought Butters home, I tried to prepare for every possibility... from basic things like his dog crate, toys, food, flea treatments, vet care... and then to the more obscure... like doggie wipes.  I have always been a planner... and it is honestly because the unknown can scare me.  At times, it has felt like if I can predict all of the unknowns, then I can be ready for them when they come.  I had a few freak-out moments in the months leading up to bringing him home.  I kept thinking... What if I am not ready?  What if I get overwhelmed?  What if this is a terrible decision?  And, then he arrived...


...and I could no longer imagine how life had felt complete without him

It has been surprising, throughout this pregnancy, how at peace I have been with the process of becoming a mom.  I realize that I learned a great deal from our little dog.  In the end, I realize you can never be fully prepared for everything that lies ahead.  You should try to prepare for the big things.  But, the little surprises (welcomed or not) are part of what makes life interesting.

A large part of this feeling comes from the trust and strength that I find in my husband.  Seeing him with our little dog, the way he cares for him and looks after him, I know he is going to be a great dad. That knowledge, I have discovered, is the real source of my confidence in myself...  it makes the unknown ok.  I find comfort in that we make a great team, and we are ready for the unexpected.


No comments:

Post a Comment