Thursday, November 29, 2012

Happy Birthday, Mom!!!


One of the hardest parts about leaving home was moving away from one of my closest friends… my Mom.  I greatly miss the time when we lived so close to one another, taking advantage of lunch dates and weekend visits together.  We continue to find ways to stay close at heart, talking on the phone daily and taking advantage of Face Time.   It makes me look forward so much to our planned time together in the coming year.  

Today on her Birthday, I would like to take a few moments to celebrate the amazing woman that she is.


As I prepare to very soon become a mom myself, it makes me appreciate all the more the special things she has done for my sisters and I over the years.  She dedicated many years of her life as a stay-at-home-mom, inspiring my sisters and I to use our imaginations and develop strong minds.  My mom exposed us to the wonders of reading early on, finding books to match our interests in salamanders, geography, medicine, mummies, and the planets.  She joined right in with us during playtime, setting up extensive Barbie homes and taking us on explorations through the woods.  As we grew older, she somehow found a way to balance working with carting us off to our (MANY) school and extracurricular activities.  She and Dad would work long days, and somehow still have time to take us to soccer, swimming, and ballet practices.  There was never a doubt the depth of her love for each of us, seeing us each as individuals and fostering our unique interests.  


Developing into a young woman, I looked to her as a role model.  Her Cornell background and multiple graduate degrees pushed me each to value and pursue higher education.  Early exposure through trips to Cornell convinced me it was where I belonged as well.  After almost 30 years of marriage, she and my Dad continue to share a close and loving relationship... something that helped me to know that Tony was "the one."


Now as an adult, I enjoy how we share our experiences with one another as friends. Over the years, I have seen her make and maintain many special friendships with wonderful ladies.  I can see how she has easily formed these strong relationships.  We can trust and depend on one another for some good laughs or an understanding ear.  My best recipes and decorating tips come from her.  Throughout my pregnancy, I have enjoyed hearing her stories about the first baby kicks, iced tea cravings, and how some of the babies (ie: me) prevented her from eating pizza.  My future son is so blessed to soon be gaining her as a Nana.  I look forward to seeing the special relationship they form together in the coming years.


Happy Birthday, Mom.  I love you so much and look forward to hearing about your birthday later today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment