Saturday, November 3, 2012

Good Fortune


During a long night at work last week, I found this hidden away in a half-crushed fortune cookie.  It was buried under the mounds of Chinese food delivered to my on-call team at the hospital.  


I have never been the type of person that saves these little paper messages.  Maybe it is the poor English translations… or that most express broad and general statements that can’t truly pass as “fortunes.” But, this one struck a cord with me; it has been in my wallet ever since.

One of the greatest blessings in my life has been finding the special person to share it with; my other half.  Tony makes me laugh and amazes me with his intelligence and sincerity.  He is the type of man that, even after a long day of work, will still find time to surprise me with a homemade dinner.  Personal messages written in cards, that final kiss goodnight, calling me just to say "I love you"... these are the little things that define our relationship.  


He is the man that I want next to me when I am old and grey; I hope we can look back and say that “Love” was our greatest victory.

That tiny fortune fell out of my wallet today.  I had failed to look at the message on the other side; I found the word written for “Learn Chinese” just as fitting to my life.


As a physician, I realize how easy it is to become jaded, as I am rushing through the cafeteria trying to snag a bite to eat with a long list of patients left to see.  Or, when I have to stay late to meet with a patient’s family that couldn’t make it during the workday.  Little reminders like this help to keep me grounded.  I realize it makes me a better doctor, staying in touch with my human side.  The importance of love, the connection that binds spouses, families and friends, is as much a part of healing as our greatest medical interventions.

No comments:

Post a Comment