Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Christmas in July?

As a kid, it seemed that Thanksgiving was the magical day that really began the Holiday Season.  Santa would make his way down 34th Street in the Macy's Day Parade, and with a "Ho, Ho, Ho," he gave the go-ahead to all of the families (and retailers) to turn on the colored lights and Deck the Halls!

Over the last few years, it is obvious that marketers have been trying to get more out of the the seasonal cheer (and spending) by pushing up the start of holiday decorations, advertisements, and Christmas music.  It seems that November 1st now is the date that marks the new socially-acceptable time for starting preparations.

This has been the case for a few years now, but I was not prepared for the holiday preparations that greeted me at the start of this month.  Maybe it is this perpetually earlier start to the holiday season.  Or, maybe it was the scene that greeted me at my local H.E.B. supermarket.

Based on the little that I knew about Christmas decorating in warm locations, I pictured the outcome to be something out of Bing Crosby's rendition of Mele Kalikimaka (The Hawaiian Christmas song)... the sunny atmosphere serving as natural decoration, with a few accents to play off of a warmer Christmas theme.   I envisioned tastefully decorated palm trees and garland with lights jazzing up outdoor restaurant umbrellas.  It caught me off guard when I saw this...


...Giant, fake, plastic Christmas trees towering over the shopping center.

Walking around in my flip-flops, tank top, and shorts, it all felt a bit wrong.  It seems that decorations appropriate for colder environments were simply transplanted into this warm environment.  And, it felt about as fitting as wearing a parka to a beach party!  I couldn't help but just stand there with a confused stare.

I guess I am still getting used to Texas.  It still hasn't fully sunk in that that winter will not come with 2-feet of snow and a negative wind-chill.  And, that Christmas will come with the similar glitz as in New York without the environmental accuracy.  It might take awhile, but I will have to embrace hanging my stockings by the air conditioning with care instead of fireplace.  However, in the end, I think I will enjoy spending a mild holiday season on a sunny patio... even if means having to sit next to an inappropriately placed giant styrofoam snowman.

No comments:

Post a Comment